Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Evening Quarterbacking

Even though my sports are limited to my workouts and watching the occasional sporting event, the spirited Superbowl Game of yesterday between the Steelers and the Cardinals, was quite the nail biter. I waited until after the game to give myself a manicure.

Thoughts wander however, during those internable minutes with the "clock" at 2 minutes left in the game, when you know it will be at least in real time, 30 minutes. Mine wandered to the enjoyable evening the night before with my son Seth and his partner Anthony and our always interesting conversations they encourage. I know I will leave the evening having learned something new, like setting up this blog with Seth's help that night. Which brings me to food, entertaining and "Setting the Table".

We are all busy; we all have excuses, however excellent. But when it is time to share a meal with your mate or friends and family, why not make it a visual treat. It really only takes a few extra minutes. I have always thought that I can serve you a glass of water and a peanut butter sandwich, but why not set the "tablescape" so there are interesting things to look at besides your plate and each other. The tablescape becomes part of the larger environment, but can be its intimate centerpiece. The water can be in a pretty glass with a spring of mint; the peanut butter sandwich can be served on a vintage plate of milk - glass. Taking off from that simple fare, why not take it a few steps further and throw down your elderly Aunt's vintage tablecloth from the 40's; some fresh white daisies from the garden in your grandmother's syrup pitcher; that old bakelite silverware you bought at the flea market in college and make a statement to all, that yes, not only do we learn from the past, but we borrow its "visuals" too and make a humble snack a moment to remember. Each piece becomes an opportunity to expand the quiet conversation and speak of moments we all remember. After all, isn't a large part of life made of memorable moments?

I look in my cupboards; I iron old linen tablecloths; I see a basket of strawberries in my refrigerator and I remember picking them when linen sheets on the clothesline were creating shadows in my grandmother's backyard when she lived in Bakersfield and I was a little girl. There is nothing like that crisp, fresh strawberry smell, with the berry not seconds off the vine. I ate so many I got a rash on my behind and my grandma thought I was allergic. I didn't care, I have continued to eat them all my life and remember that moment in her garden each time. When I made dessert this past Saturday night a fresh berry cobbler, I remembered her garden again. And of course I remember her. Lilly.

So, when I stage a house; or freshen up my own; or set the table for another fun dinner, I know how lucky I am to have some history in my cupboards and drawers and even luckier to share them with people I love and treasure. In staging a home for a client, I like to start with using what people already have, then edit. Severely. I seem to breathe fresher air as a home begins to change and really show its light, angles and perspectives. It is lovely to see the relaxed surprise of the owners, to see how their very own things can transform a space into something more "au courant" and ultimately, "more them".

1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say...everytime I set a table..or feel the texture of fabrics..or see beautiful glass and cutlery in an English antique store..or smell the aroma of sensual scents from a kitchen..I think of The Divine, Ms. B ! You are my Hero! I continue to learn from the BEST! Love from across the pond! Fern xo

    ReplyDelete