Saturday, February 14, 2009

Seizing the Moment











On Thursday I enjoyed opening our home to family, friends, collegues and their guests for my Annual Painting Soiree. The day was clear, like this wave and with a sapphire sky. We were gathered to view my most recent body of work: paintings completed in 2008. It was wonderful to prepare the house, the nibbles and refreshments, the flowers, choosing the best spot for each painting. I had a total of 15 new paintings and sold 12. Dear friends who have been collecting my paintings over the years, again stepped to the plate with a smile as the painting(s) they chose gave them joy. New friends bought and old friends added to their collection. Each painting has a story behind it because I paint where I have been or where I would like to be. My darling friends, Janet, Mary Jane, Nancy, Debbie, Candace and Marian all bought paintings. I was touched and grateful to each of them for their kindnesses, their grace, the laughter they bring every time I am with them. Janet has collected my work from the beginning. One of the most heartfelt reactions I had with her display of my work, was when I spent a weekend with her in her graceful home in Pauma Valley. The guest room walls only held my paintings, all hanging at the same (eye) level, one after another like a circle around the room. I was so touched, it brought a tear to my eye. I slept in that room that night comforted by my surroundings ! A few days after the Soiree, Alison commissioned me to do a painting, needed next week so I have been painting for 12 hours straight today and it has felt wonderful to commit an entire day to painting and all that goes with it; intellectually, imaginatively and technically. At the Soiree, Jim took over the cocktail duties; Seth and Anthony worked the crowd and brought one of their friends and client, Barbara. In the next few days I will add some photos of the paintings for you. And again, my heartfelt thank you to all who attended and participated in a wonderful day.
So when you have time to follow your passion, do it. Even if is a few minutes a day. That moment is like this transparent wave photographed by Scott Brashier. Treasure its beauty, the time spent because it is quickly gone, but never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment