Friday, February 6, 2009

Rain has arrived at the Beach











Everyone thinks of California as the land of fun and sunlit days of endless surfing; but did you know the "State Dance" is the Rain Dance? Yes, we have days on end of stunning sunlight, but our corner of the earth still rejoices when the sound of rain hits our roofs and gardens. Yes, Californians by and large don't know how to drive well in the rain. It takes a lot longer to get home. But when you do, all the living parts of the garden seems to be turning upward in thanks. While most of the country is buried in ice and snow; my sweet peas are beginning to make the climb to the clouds their blossoms looking much like their destination. Even our cats, Maui and Luci love to go out for a minute and feel the rain; shaking their paws with each step.



I mentioned 4 days ago I was going to write about the famous "Bobby" in our lives. We met Bobby and his partner Clive, in the wonderful antique shop they owned in Laguna Beach in 1978. We fell in love with a Queen Anne English Highboy with burled walnut drawers. They had lived with it too, in England and no longer had a use for it in their cottage in Laguna. So, they delivered it to us, joined us for cocktails and our friendship began. Bobby is one of those remarkable raconteurs who can keep one captive for hours (it seems like 15 minutes) with stories of his exuberant past. Dancing with Ava Gardner with her natural enticing personality; one of his great friends, Bumble, was the Edith Head of London Theatre. Through her and other pals he met all the greats of film and stage; and writers, producers, directors too. Bobby and I fell hard for each other. He tells me now, he knew instantly we were soul mates when we walked into his cottage for the first time and I said, "Oh, that must be tarragon and thyme on the lamb that I smell". Jim loves him as much as I do. The incredible sets of porcelain chinas, the hand painted crystal goblets and cordial glasses and so much more come from Bobby. When he presented the first remarkable set to me from his long relationship with the Baron, he explained that we are all just the caretakers of these beautiful things and to pass them on to those who will use and appreciate them as we do. Over the years, he has given me rare and valuable pieces, which I do use. I have some hanging on my walls around an antique mirror in the dining room. I have the luscious 19th Century green and white tea set on my mantle during the holidays and into Springtime. They are there now. Silver chargers from Bobby accent many of my table settings. His mother's handmade lace tablecloth is used often. You can see every stitch and loop. Only one of my friends has ever met Bobby, not because I don't want to share him, but because of his schedule. Everyone close to me knows about Bobby and I give him all the credit for my table settings. There is a photo here of Bobby and me in the foyer of our home. He is 94 years old and going strong. His mind never halts or waivers, the legs may need a rest after a bit, but the mind never stops. Writing about him in this blog is an ode to him. There will be others.



So when you are ready to set your table for an intimate dinner, a family or friends gathering, make it special. Use the leaves, herbs and flowers from your garden; use those special plates that are in the high cupboard. Each day, each moment is a gift and is also an opportunity to create.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy the photos. Please comment and suggest changes or additions.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete