Monday, March 2, 2009

Same plates, different accents











About 10 years ago, I did a series of hand painted porcelain dinnerware using images of spring vegetables and fruits. This weekend, in anticipation of a dinner party this week, I used those plates as an ode to the beautiful early Spring weather we were having. Starting out with herbs and orchids, I created a tablescape using greenery from the garden. Then I thought it would be fun to try using the same plates, linens and placemats, creating a seascape with the shells and corals I have collected over the years. You can see two samples in the place settings here.
I was also inspired by the colors I used in the painting I did two weeks ago for Alex. Another inspiration was the Mission in San Juan Capistrano this summer. The sumptuous plantings bring texture and color to the beautiful gardens and complement the old California Architecture of this historic place. Fresh green colors are redolent of the spring herbs and budding trees, which I find so refreshing on a table. We expect a bit of much needed rain again this week, but these greens of Spring will help you remember all that we have to look forward to and love.
Play and create with what you have in your immediate surroundings and give your "old" collections new life with a fresh and inviting tablescape.

No comments:

Post a Comment